Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nebuchadnezzar and Lycanthropy

+2
Tall Tyrion
Ash
6 posters

Go down

Nebuchadnezzar and Lycanthropy Empty Nebuchadnezzar and Lycanthropy

Post by Ash Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:21 pm

I was thinking about Werewolves and I realized Nebuchadnezzar was actually pretty similar to being a "werewolf".. although the specific "wolf" aspect is missing... none the less the bible describes that he became pretty much like an animal.. growing hair and claws!! .moving on all fours , etc...

Daniel 4- 31 through 34

While the word [was] in the king's mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, [saying], O king Nebuchadnezzar, to thee it is spoken; The kingdom is departed from thee.

And they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling [shall be] with the beasts of the field: they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and seven times shall pass over thee, until thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.

The same hour was the thing fulfilled upon Nebuchadnezzar: and he was driven from men, and did eat grass as oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven, till his hairs were grown like eagles' [feathers], and his nails like birds' [claws].

And at the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honoured him that liveth for ever, whose dominion [is] an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom [is] from generation to generation:

So what do you think about.. did maybe this account in the Bible influence some of the Werewolf lore that would come about in the Western socities.. as we know it today?

Nebuchadnezzar and Lycanthropy Nebuchadnezzar
Ash
Ash
Drachenschlächter des Verderbens

Number of posts : 1126
Job/hobbies : Reigning the 7 worlds with an iron fist
Humor : Where is my jester?
Registration date : 2008-05-26

http://chamberofsolace.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Nebuchadnezzar and Lycanthropy Empty Re: Nebuchadnezzar and Lycanthropy

Post by Tall Tyrion Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:46 pm

I think so. In Greek mythology, King Lycaon of Arcadia was turned into a wolf by Zeus for offending him by serving him human flesh. This could be a corruption of the Biblical account of Nebuchadnezzar being punished for his arrogance by being made to live like a beast for seven years.

Another interesting feature of the story of Nebuchadnezzar to me is that the judgement come as "a decree from the watchers" or angels. Evidently, it was the Watching Angels, spoken of in various places in the Scripture as well as extra Biblical books like 1 Enoch who passed sentance on Nebuchadnezzar for his pride.

Tall Tyrion
wanderer

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:26 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:I think so. In Greek mythology, King Lycaon of Arcadia was turned into a wolf by Zeus for offending him by serving him human flesh. This could be a corruption of the Biblical account of Nebuchadnezzar being punished for his arrogance by being made to live like a beast for seven years.

Another interesting feature of the story of Nebuchadnezzar to me is that the judgement come as "a decree from the watchers" or angels. Evidently, it was the Watching Angels, spoken of in various places in the Scripture as well as extra Biblical books like 1 Enoch who passed sentance on Nebuchadnezzar for his pride.

hmm.. Never heard about the watchers. ala
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by count raven Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:51 pm

This is an interesting thread,wonder if there might be some connections involving vampire lore too,the drinking of blood and such,always wondered about where the myths started,if you think about it there is like a twisted inverted sort of thing,instead of believers drinking the holy blood, the beast/ man drinks the blood of humans, to exist on in eternal life........
count raven
count raven
wanderer

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ecthelion of the fountain Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:32 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:I think so. In Greek mythology, King Lycaon of Arcadia was turned into a wolf by Zeus for offending him by serving him human flesh. This could be a corruption of the Biblical account of Nebuchadnezzar being punished for his arrogance by being made to live like a beast for seven years.

ahh but how can the watcher spoken of in daniel 4 be the same as "the watchers". it says that the angel descends from heaven to declare the lords judgment on nebuchadnezzar. but by then the watchers had alredy been banished for a few thousand years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_enoch#The_Book_of_the_Watchers
fans of nocturnal creatures might find this a interesting read. when the lord declare judgment on the asasel and his followers he mentions "the biters". there is also a short mentioning of the fact that after being thrown down to earth for their sins, they not only sin with women but with various beast, birds and reptiles gran
ecthelion of the fountain
--The Swedish Elf--

Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:44 pm

ecthelion of the fountain wrote:

ahh but how can the watcher spoken of in daniel 4 be the same as "the watchers". it says that the angel descends from heaven to declare the lords judgment on nebuchadnezzar. but by then the watchers had alredy been banished for a few thousand years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_enoch#The_Book_of_the_Watchers
fans of nocturnal creatures might find this a interesting read. when the lord declare judgment on the asasel and his followers he mentions "the biters". there is also a short mentioning of the fact that after being thrown down to earth for their sins, they not only sin with women but with various beast, birds and reptiles gran

hmm.. The book of the watchers sound's like something I could get into, my Dad would read it in his studies..(the book of Enuch).. but i never did.

On a side note.. the term "The Watchers" always reminds of the Necronomicon and Sumerian magick. "Sometimes they would appear as men with the heads of growling dogs just on the edge of the magicians circle.. encircling him..."

btw, welcome.. mr Ecthelion. Are you the Ecthelion of Sweden that I am familiar with?

Last edited by Kamerad Ash on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by Blixi Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:22 pm

Nice avatar, ecthelion of the fountain.

That was a great character in hellboy2. elf
Blixi
Blixi
!The Nameless One!

Number of posts : 167
Job/hobbies : Military
Humor : A man walk into a bar...

Back to top Go down

Post by ecthelion of the fountain Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:07 am

yeah the legend goes that The Watchers where the one that thought us mortals magic. voodoo,black magic... all of it
and yes it is me, ash... was bored so i browsed some forums and stumbled across this nice thread...

thanx blixi gg
--The Swedish Elf--

Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:56 am

I know with the Ancient Sumerians it was somtimes held that all magick originated out of the mountains of Mashu (wherever those are) and also, of course..through their gods, which we know as demons. Innana, Nana, Marduk, etc and so forth... re-popularized and familiarized to the mainstream by Lovecraft and others...
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by Blixi Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:59 am

Yes, those ancient Babylonian and Sumerian gods were famous for getting their much desired human sacrifices too. ppol

Some serious and scary stuff.

Nebuchadnezzar and Lycanthropy Pazuzudemon1
Blixi
Blixi
!The Nameless One!

Back to top Go down

Post by Blixi Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:07 am

Funny that Inanna and Nanna were mentioned, I remember those characters from the game Jericho.

Enlil and Inanna

]
Blixi
Blixi
!The Nameless One!

Back to top Go down

Post by Apocalypse Cow Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:15 pm

just some thoughts
vampiric spirits: the bible says the life is in the blood, vampires drink blood for life
there are vampiric spirits have you ever been around people who just seem to suck the joy/life outta a room?

All Pantheology had its start at the tower of Babel. explanation, these people believed in a godhead
Semiramis - Mother goddess
Nimrod - Father god/stag god
Tammuz - Son god

they didnt unlearn what they believed they just called it by different names when the languages where scrambled/changed by God

and some of this theology has even crept into church theology through many ways but primarily through constantine

an interesting book i read, completely fictional, called "Gehenna" loosely based on dantes inferno had placed as a ruler of one of the levels of hell a demon who looked exactly like frankenstein. Mary Shelly said herself that the inspiration for frankenstein came from what she believed to be a demon in one of her dreams
Apocalypse Cow
Apocalypse Cow
wanderer

Number of posts : 18
Job/hobbies : My Family, Music, Reading mostly the net these days, Computers, Video Games
Humor : Always, Mostly self depricating
Registration date : 2008-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:12 pm

Apocalypse Cow wrote:just some thoughts
vampiric spirits: the bible says the life is in the blood, vampires drink blood for life
there are vampiric spirits have you ever been around people who just seem to suck the joy/life outta a room?

All Pantheology had its start at the tower of Babel. explanation, these people believed in a godhead
Semiramis - Mother goddess
Nimrod - Father god/stag god
Tammuz - Son god

they didnt unlearn what they believed they just called it by different names when the languages where scrambled/changed by God

and some of this theology has even crept into church theology through many ways but primarily through constantine

an interesting book i read, completely fictional, called "Gehenna" loosely based on dantes inferno had placed as a ruler of one of the levels of hell a demon who looked exactly like frankenstein. Mary Shelly said herself that the inspiration for frankenstein came from what she believed to be a demon in one of her dreams

hmm.. never heard that about Mary Shelley.. interesting. I just know that most the book was based on converstaions between her husband and Lord Bryon that she had also gotten fascinated with.

And yea, there has also been pagan in fluences on Christianity. Even too this day much of our western Theology is heavily influenced by it, and that's ok in my book. Much of the paganism of the Goths and Celts, etc.. was actually quite based in moral law and strong spiritual truths... something I know Tolkien wrote about alot.

Also, God seems to have no problem working with us where we are at.
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content