Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So you've decided you want to be a goth?

4 posters

Go down

So you've decided you want to be a goth? Empty So you've decided you want to be a goth?

Post by Ash Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:33 pm

You might have seen this, but it is hilarious..

Ash
Ash
Drachenschlächter des Verderbens

Number of posts : 1126
Job/hobbies : Reigning the 7 worlds with an iron fist
Humor : Where is my jester?
Registration date : 2008-05-26

http://chamberofsolace.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

So you've decided you want to be a goth? Empty Re: So you've decided you want to be a goth?

Post by ecthelion of the fountain Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:02 pm

pretty funny... but they missed out on some important details though, the band shirts only work for the old school goth that came from punk, most obvious example is cyber and romantigoths that can't really work band shirts into their outfits, therefor the universal goth indicator is not the Bauhaus t-shirt but the ankh
ecthelion of the fountain
--The Swedish Elf--

Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

So you've decided you want to be a goth? Empty Re: So you've decided you want to be a goth?

Post by Oddly Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:03 am

ecthelion of the fountain wrote:pretty funny... but they missed out on some important details though, the band shirts only work for the old school goth that came from punk, most obvious example is cyber and romantigoths that can't really work band shirts into their outfits, therefor the universal goth indicator is not the Bauhaus t-shirt but the ankh
True, they totally left out the whole velvet and lace thing...and a bunch of good bands with ridiculously nonsensical names, but yay, EN!

Also you see, this video is rather old. There are the Pre-Raphaelite Punk that have come to bridge the gap between the old skool, more punk-influenced deathrock kind and the pretty, pretty Romantigothical folk...those cyber folks are on their own *just kidding*.
I saw a lovely couple in very pretty Edwardian-style garb made entirely of red and black PVC, so yes, we can all intermesh and live happily in Gothdom as long as well all agree that Valor Kand is very mean and sucks majorly.

*Note: the Pre-Raphaelite Punk do not actually exist...but they do combine the artsy-fartsy, fancy-schmancyness and swirly music of the Romantigoths with the delapidated and slash-uppedness and the kick ass/ass-kicking music of the Punk/Deathrock scene...and a bunch of other way cool stuff. It's pretty frickin' sweet!*
Oddly
Oddly
thrall

Number of posts : 291
Job/hobbies : Pre-Raphaelite Punk
Humor : Roboticon features built in humor simulator and funny bone sensory unit.
Registration date : 2008-09-11

http://oddly.nu

Back to top Go down

Post by ecthelion of the fountain Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:31 pm

got any good link on Pre-Raphaelite punk? i've heard alot about it but i can't get into my head how it all coems togetehr/works... i mean the Pre-Raphaelites where hellenists while romanticists are as we all know heavy into the gothic era
--The Swedish Elf--

Back to top Go down

Post by Donald effin' Duck Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:55 pm

These sorts of discussions make me glad I never got any further into goth than I did. That, and keeping up appearances... the corset-coat and claw rings and ankhs and pentagrams and mournful looks were just a big hassle in the end. Jeans, boots, a band tee, and a leather jacket are all I want or need anymore.
Donald effin' Duck
Donald effin' Duck
conqueror of the flesh

Number of posts : 116
Humor : Phlegmatic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddly Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:42 pm

ecthelion of the fountain wrote:i've heard alot about it but i can't get into my head how it all coems togetehr/works... i mean the Pre-Raphaelites where hellenists while romanticists are as we all know heavy into the gothic era
Like I,...I mean, like the note said, the Pre-Raphaelite Punk do not actually exist...*wink*

ecthelion of the fountain wrote:got any good link on Pre-Raphaelite punk?
You're looking at it. Her...or part of it anyway. The link.

To be honest it may mostly just be me now....scratch
...unless there's some other small off-shoot of oddly dressed Gothical musicians with untypical instruments under that banner, which to be honest, that would be rather cool.

Just remember, they don't really exist!
Oddly
Oddly
thrall

Humor : Roboticon features built in humor simulator and funny bone sensory unit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:56 pm

I've noticed this pretty much applies to adolescents. Most adult (as in 20's and up) that might frequent goth klubs definitely don't fit into the categories of this vid. Although It does still have some valid observasions. hha.
Ash
Ash
Drachenschlächter des Verderbens

Number of posts : 1126
Job/hobbies : Reigning the 7 worlds with an iron fist
Humor : Where is my jester?

http://chamberofsolace.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddly Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:22 am

Twas a funny video.
Oddly
Oddly
thrall

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddly Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:31 am

Donald effin' Duck wrote:These sorts of discussions make me glad I never got any further into goth than I did. That, and keeping up appearances... the corset-coat and claw rings and ankhs and pentagrams and mournful looks were just a big hassle in the end. Jeans, boots, a band tee, and a leather jacket are all I want or need anymore.
Instead of 'keeping up appearances' or trying to keep up with the fashions, one must create their own personal style ~ like you did...

I do know what you mean though, the Gothically-inclined are not immune from becoming tragic fashion victims, many are quite prone to such nonsense.
Oddly
Oddly
thrall

Back to top Go down

Post by Donald effin' Duck Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:41 am

Meh. I just decided to stop trying to look so blasted sad and feminine all the time. I was even sashaying around like a chick, to make the fullest aesthetic use of the wasp waist provided by the corset. Heck, with my long hair and the fact that I was pretty cadaverously thin to start with, I'm pretty sure I could have been mistaken for a girl from a distance, and probably was at least a few times. Surprisingly enough, though, I only got called a fag by random passers-by twice.
Donald effin' Duck
Donald effin' Duck
conqueror of the flesh

Number of posts : 116
Humor : Phlegmatic.

Back to top Go down

Post by ecthelion of the fountain Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:35 pm

Oddly wrote:
ecthelion of the fountain wrote:i've heard alot about it but i can't get into my head how it all coems togetehr/works... i mean the Pre-Raphaelites where hellenists while romanticists are as we all know heavy into the gothic era
Like I,...I mean, like the note said, the Pre-Raphaelite Punk do not actually exist...*wink*

ecthelion of the fountain wrote:got any good link on Pre-Raphaelite punk?
You're looking at it. Her...or part of it anyway. The link.

To be honest it may mostly just be me now....scratch
...unless there's some other small off-shoot of oddly dressed Gothical musicians with untypical instruments under that banner, which to be honest, that would be rather cool.

Just remember, they don't really exist!
preraphaelitepunk.com
--The Swedish Elf--

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddly Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:11 am

Donald effin' Duck wrote:Meh. I just decided to stop trying to look so blasted sad and feminine all the time. I was even sashaying around like a chick, to make the fullest aesthetic use of the wasp waist provided by the corset. Heck, with my long hair and the fact that I was pretty cadaverously thin to start with, I'm pretty sure I could have been mistaken for a girl from a distance, and probably was at least a few times. Surprisingly enough, though, I only got called a fag by random passers-by twice.
Ah yes, my former beau and musical companion was a very pretty skeleton man also, and there were a few times when we were mistaken for a lesbian couple, even up close. *I may or may not have been considered the butch one, who knows? He was taller, thinner, and more graceful than I, so maybe.*
Oddly
Oddly
thrall

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddly Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:37 am

ecthelion of the fountain wrote:preraphaelitepunk.com
Yeah, I had stumbled upon her blog before, excitedly hoping that she might be a fellow strangely-garbed musician, but no...she does, however have many great veggie recipes and crafty ideas. And I do very much like her explanation of 'Pre-Raphaelite Punk':

'Think Waterhouse’s “Lady of Shalott,” only without the passivity and with a snarky attitude. Combine pretty much equal parts melodrama and acerbity, add a little hidden core of sappiness, wrap it in black velvet, and that’s pretty much me.'

That is, also, pretty much me, though with a more musically-inclined meaning...
Also, with her wonderfully red, crazy Loreena Mckennitt-esque hair, she may be more Pre-Raphaelite than some of us...them...it doesn't exist.
Oddly
Oddly
thrall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down