Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy whatever....

4 posters

Go down

Happy whatever.... Empty Happy whatever....

Post by Guest Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:31 am

Whatever you celebrate and however you do it ... I hope you have a great holiday at some point...

These moments are about love, kindness and the well being of all (as all moments should be)...so I hope all of you have a lovely holiday season.

I love you

Back to top Go down

Happy whatever.... Empty Re: Happy whatever....

Post by Ash Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:39 am

YEA.. TO all the ghosts out there.. lol.

Happy whatever.... Anonymous_18th_century_Birth_of_Christ
Ash
Ash
Drachenschlächter des Verderbens

Number of posts : 1126
Job/hobbies : Reigning the 7 worlds with an iron fist
Humor : Where is my jester?
Registration date : 2008-05-26

http://chamberofsolace.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xiandown Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:37 pm

merry christmas and joyous yule tidings. cheers
xiandown
xiandown
seeker

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by ecthelion of the fountain Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:00 pm

lets go back to the original yule wit human sacrifice and everything Twisted Evil gimli
Happy whatever.... Midvinterblot
ecthelion of the fountain
--The Swedish Elf--

Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:15 pm

haha
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddly Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:36 am

lol!

I hope everyone had a happy Christmas *or a blood blessed Yule* or just frickin' happy day!
Oddly
Oddly
thrall

Number of posts : 291
Job/hobbies : Pre-Raphaelite Punk
Humor : Roboticon features built in humor simulator and funny bone sensory unit.
Registration date : 2008-09-11

http://oddly.nu

Back to top Go down

Post by xiandown Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:44 am

ecthelion of the fountain wrote:lets go back to the original yule wit human sacrifice and everything Twisted Evil

From what i understand of mythology, the norse gods never required human sacrifice. any blood spilled was quenched during warfare. you're thinking of the druids with that picture you posted and they were a completely separate breed than the goths.
xiandown
xiandown
seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:10 am

Well, I know the Norse required it.. I don't know about their Odin, like when a king died and a young woman was chosen to pass into the next world with him.
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by ecthelion of the fountain Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:38 pm

xiandown wrote:
ecthelion of the fountain wrote:lets go back to the original yule wit human sacrifice and everything Twisted Evil

From what i understand of mythology, the norse gods never required human sacrifice. any blood spilled was quenched during warfare. you're thinking of the druids with that picture you posted and they were a completely separate breed than the goths.

girl i am of 100% norse heritage, and an archeology student so i think i know what i am talking about. norse gods required sacrifices. just like with most other polytheistic religions and even early Jewish tradition, the value of the sacrifice have to be the same as the favor you ask of god. lets say you wanna have a good harvest, if you sacrifice some grains,bread,fruits etc.. you will get an ok harvest, better if you sacrifice a goat, even better if you sacrifice an ox, great harvest if you sacrifice a man.
and yes ash you are on the right track with the king and the young woman. the fact is that during the iron age most germanic tribes buried their dead with the tools, weapons and clothes he ahd used in life, so that he would join the same class/rank in afterlife as he had enjoyed in life.
up here in the north it was not uncommon for a mighty chieftain's or king's best slaves and sometimes also pets to be sacrificed an then put in the same grave to join him on the other side.

the picture i posted was "midvinterblot" and is one half of a painting showing how a swedish viking king sacrificed himself to thor at uppsala temple, to put an end to a year of famine. "blot" where the big official sacrifice that took place once every season. the midwinter blot was called jul-blot, yule in English. and it is still at this day the word for christmas in Scandinavia.

and yes the druids did burn human sacrifices in their wicker-men. but i don't see what goths has to do with any of this. maybe you are referring to the at the moment very popular theory that the goths originally came from gothia in southern sweden? even if so you are still very wrong. anglosaxon and celtic sites and graves show several typical Scandinavian weapons/helmets etc... showing that they shared enough blood to have Scandinavian nobles rule some of their citys or that they at least where allies that exchanged expensive gifts, and i think we all know how allied nations sealed their pact back then... marriage
and is it a coincidence that both the norse and the druids viewed the trees as something holy and liked to put their sacrifices in them.
--The Swedish Elf--

Back to top Go down

Post by xiandown Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:36 pm

thanks for the history lesson. I sit corrected.
my mention of the goths is by the earliest document of the word in gothic lang in reference to the month fuma jiuleis. 500 years later, a yule feast is then mentioned in heimskringla.

.. and i'm 75% bavarian and 25% saxon. queen
xiandown
xiandown
seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:37 pm

ecthelion of the fountain wrote:
and is it a coincidence that both the norse and the druids viewed the trees as something holy and liked to put their sacrifices in them.

Yep... The cross for Crucifixion was originally just an unhewn tree, as well.

Tree's have always been sacred in one manner or another...

The Fruit of the Tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

The Tree that holds together the nine worlds in Norse lore.. Ygdrasil..

It's not just a Polytheistic peculiarity.
Ash
Ash

Back to top Go down

Post by ecthelion of the fountain Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:08 pm

why do you think there are gingerbread men in the Christmas trees? Twisted Evil
--The Swedish Elf--

Back to top Go down

Post by ecthelion of the fountain Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:19 pm

xiandown wrote:thanks for the history lesson. I sit corrected.
my mention of the goths is by the earliest document of the word in gothic lang in reference to the month fuma jiuleis. 500 years later, a yule feast is then mentioned in heimskringla.

.. and i'm 75% bavarian and 25% saxon. queen
yes, the goths themselves claimed to come from the very north, which probably explains that. the wise are still debating where in the north, and right now many are leaning towards east and west-gothia lands that is now part of sweden.

if you go back about 800 years or maybe even more my ancestors will still be swedish on paper, but there is an old family legend saying that half the family came here from the black sea (probably as slaves or soldiers of one of the viking nobles that ruled that area during the ironage), the same story say that the other half (and we do have an awful lot of redheads in the clan) came here from Scotland. but since we are talking pre-Christian Scandinavia when you will only find runes and maybe some arab regarding trading, there is no way of proving that legend
--The Swedish Elf--

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down