Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

unheilig/ The German Oma's and old fashioned German Worter thread. \m/

+2
Ash
stefan
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

unheilig/ The German Oma's and old fashioned German Worter thread. \m/ - Page 2 Empty Re: unheilig/ The German Oma's and old fashioned German Worter thread. \m/

Post by gwrtheyrn Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:01 am

uargh, i DETEST sauerkraut.

other words - for example rucksack, dachshund...

here in switzerland everyone uses the word "geil", there's nothing bad about it anymore, at least not among younger people.
gwrtheyrn
gwrtheyrn
!Wielder of the Apocalypse Baselard!

Number of posts : 54
Job/hobbies : computer stuff
Registration date : 2008-05-29

http://blog.ich-wars-nicht.ch/

Back to top Go down

unheilig/ The German Oma's and old fashioned German Worter thread. \m/ - Page 2 Empty Re: unheilig/ The German Oma's and old fashioned German Worter thread. \m/

Post by Ash Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:03 am

gwrtheyrn wrote:uargh, i DETEST sauerkraut.

other words - for example rucksack, dachshund...

here in switzerland everyone uses the word "geil", there's nothing bad about it anymore, at least not among younger people.

yea. I see that word used alot on the internet. Didn't know it was a swiss german thing. avec
Ash
Ash
Drachenschlächter des Verderbens

Number of posts : 1126
Job/hobbies : Reigning the 7 worlds with an iron fist
Humor : Where is my jester?
Registration date : 2008-05-26

http://chamberofsolace.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gwrtheyrn Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:10 am

it's just a stronger form of "cool". at least in switzerland, cool has about the same meaning as nice. "that's pretty cool" means "that's quite nice". but "das ist geil" means about the same as "that's awesome". here in switzerland many people also say "huere geil", which means "horny as a prostitute" if you translate it directly. the experssion has lost that meaning though (depending on the context). meaning is about the same as "totally awesome".
gwrtheyrn
gwrtheyrn
!Wielder of the Apocalypse Baselard!

Number of posts : 54
Job/hobbies : computer stuff
Registration date : 2008-05-29

http://blog.ich-wars-nicht.ch/

Back to top Go down

Post by ecthelion of the fountain Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:47 am

Ash wrote:Oft for one. Oft was middle english for modern often.

There's so many ... Bruder- Brother, Father-fader, Friend-Freund, Wolf... and on and on...

But it makes sense because English was original a Germanic language.. back before the Norman invasion of england.. when it got mixed with alot of French.
none of those words are really taken from german... words for ancient thing that have always been in center are shared by the north germanic languages, because they used to be the same language. the same list works in swedish and since we initially where theri strongest contact and even invaded their asses several times over, even the normands was actully a viking colony that had grown to be indipendant(pre medeival sweden is very anglican, then it turns german then french and now we are all anglophiles again. )

broder-brother fader-father frände-friend ulf-wolf kniv-knife hus-house hjärta-heart window-vindöga dörr-door rum-room

whilst words like fork and brain that was invented much later are worlds appart

hjärna -brain gaffel-fork
ecthelion of the fountain
--The Swedish Elf--

Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:36 pm

Your like a walking encyclopedia, Ecthelion. But I guess that's how most elves are. *elf
Ash
Ash
Drachenschlächter des Verderbens

Number of posts : 1126
Job/hobbies : Reigning the 7 worlds with an iron fist
Humor : Where is my jester?
Registration date : 2008-05-26

http://chamberofsolace.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Oddly Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:27 pm

gwrtheyrn wrote:it's just a stronger form of "cool". at least in switzerland, cool has about the same meaning as nice. "that's pretty cool" means "that's quite nice". but "das ist geil" means about the same as "that's awesome". here in switzerland many people also say "huere geil", which means "horny as a prostitute" if you translate it directly. the experssion has lost that meaning though (depending on the context). meaning is about the same as "totally awesome".
I say 'geil' often in English, most people have no idea what I'm saying. Apparently in a lot of German to English dictionaries 'geil' is still listed as horny or lecherous or lustful, then again I have a friend from the UK who after living in the States for nearly a decade still refers to erasers as 'rubbers'...fun times with languages!
Oddly
Oddly
thrall

Number of posts : 291
Job/hobbies : Pre-Raphaelite Punk
Humor : Roboticon features built in humor simulator and funny bone sensory unit.
Registration date : 2008-09-11

http://oddly.nu

Back to top Go down

Post by ecthelion of the fountain Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:25 am

Ash wrote:Your like a walking encyclopedia, Ecthelion. But I guess that's how most elves are. *elf

isn't all nerd like that? lol
--The Swedish Elf--

Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2